More about the job
We are a pioneer in an industry that has not yet been shaped by technology trends. We combine unparalleled financial markets with environmental and sustainability markets experience. You will be part of an existing software start up that will open the access to these markets and will increase efficiency.
The new platform will strive to facilitate global trade of environmental products and help clients access environmental and sustainability markets to achieve their objectives through products such as carbon offsets and environmental certificates. We are already working on designing value adding services to the global industry and establish ourselves as the portal to environmental and sustainability markets. We are a software start up that is looking for aggressive growth and disrupting the market through value innovation-based business models. Any new team member will have the opportunity to shape the culture and future we are creating. They say it is not a job when it is also a hobby and something you would do for fun!
As a Senior Backend Engineer you will be responsible for the full development cycle starting from designing your software to testing, deploying and supporting it in production. As the environment we work in is completely greenfield, you will have an opportunity to influence the decisions, processes, technologies, and solutions. You are expected to take an active part in a communication with End Users, Product Owners, and other Stakeholders. You need to deeply understand the problems that the Product is solving, and not just go through the list of the tickets in the backlog. On contrary, you will have a chance to provide your input and thoughts about how the product should develop and implement your owns ideas.
Since we are setting up a lot of the processes now, many things are yet to be defined and are not set in stone. You need to be pragmatic and agile. You need to be willing to discover new areas and/or opportunities and take them.
The list of key responsibilities that are clear already is below:
• Develop the platform from scratch, having an opportunity to influence literally any aspect of its lifecycle
• Communicate with different Stakeholders (End Users, Management Team, Product Managers, UX designers, DevOps, Marketing and Sales Managers, etc.) in order to provide/request input about the features, use cases, and requirements for the product, etc.
• Actively participate in investigating new technologies and making technological choices for the product
• Be responsible for the design, development, and testing of entire sub-systems and individual components
• Develop distributed, scalable and highly available sub-systems and system as a whole
• Run, monitor and support systems and components in production in the cloud environment(s) (AWS/GCP/Azure)
• Be responsible for the quality of the produced code and solutions. Perform unit-testing, integration-testing, e2e testing, performance testing, etc
• Be an excellent team player, caring about the atmosphere and culture in individual teams and company as a whole
• Consult, help, and grow members of the team
• Support the documentation for the architecture and components developed
• Once the team grows and should you have leadership skills/ambitions - lead the sub-teams
• Along with other senior engineers, be the pillar that product development stands on
• Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in a Senior Developer role
• Understand and have a practical experience in software architecture
• Deep knowledge in the area of (event-driven) web services development
• Experience in designing, building, and running distributed and scalable cloud-based systems
• Excellent knowledge of both relational and non-relational database systems
• Experience and openness to perform DevOps related activities (configure CI/CD, support infrastructure, install tools, database management, monitoring, etc.)
• Experience working on Linux-like systems
• Strictly don't have the "Not my problem" attitude.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience working in a Financial Industry
• Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
• Experience with cloud provisioning/configuration management tools (Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
• Experience with SQL (Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server, etc) and NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra, Couchbase, etc.)
• Experience with Messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka, SQS, Cloud Pub/Sub, etc.
• Experience with monitoring tools like DataDog, Prometheus, Grafana, etc.
• Experience and/or wish to lead small teams
• Good understanding of computer networking
• Competitive remuneration and bonus scheme
• Business- and communication-related trainings
• Relocation budget (when applicable)
• Exciting quarterly target incentives
• Kickboxing and football
• In-house Life Coach
Room to keep improving
Becoming the best I can be
Because at ACT we get things done together.
That’s what we call collaborative trading because together we…
A training program that fits like a glove.
We want you to develop your skills and talent in the best possible way. Therefore you will enter our unique and personally tailored on-the-job training program with only one goal: to enable you to reach your full potential.
Score great deals and awesome goals.
On top of developing your skills you can also develop your foosball skills. But be aware for our goal getter Paul! Are you more in for a game of table tennis? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
All ingredients for success.
We enable you to reach your full potential. Therefore you will get all the knowledge and training necessary to develop your talents and become successful.
It’s more than a career.
You will be part of our enthusiastic and entrepreneurial team that consists of more than 30 nationalities from all over the world. We work hard, but also party hard during drinks, BBQ’s, company weekends, diners, boat trips and so on. So bring your smile and join the party.
Get your own personal life coach.
Working at ACT is more than just learning the right skills and expertise. We also focus on your personal development and growth. That’s where your personal life coach comes in. Because we believe that the more you know about yourself, the more successful you will be.
Throughout ACT you feel this constant thirst for excellence that allowed us to grow quickly and successfully. Within that ever-changing and dynamic environment comes the opportunity to work on things that are already set in stone in so many other organizations. This entrepreneurial spirit you feel throughout the company. From day one I’ve been given the chance to pioneer and challenge the status quo. You really can do things differently here.
I started working at ACT because I wanted to be in a working environment that would really allow me to grow. I certainly got what I was hoping for! Ever since I joined ACT, every day has been different, my learning curve has been very steep because of it.
You learn as you go and I’ve experienced first hand that if you succeed, everybody is genuinely happy for you. Everybody is willing to work hard and make the best out of every day. We are target driven, we are ambitious but always together as a team. That means when a target is accomplished, we also celebrate each other’s success. This teamspirit keeps everybody going!
ACT is rapidly growing and evolving, offering ample opportunities to expand your knowledge and hone your skills. This has allowed me to continuously challenge myself in ways I hadn’t even foreseen. For example, within the first six months of joining ACT New York, I relocated to Amsterdam to lead a global project implementation.
This was an area I hadn’t had a great deal of experience in but management had faith in me and I had faith in the rest of the team. We all grew together through the experience. If you are willing to reach higher, do better and learn more, there really aren’t any barriers at ACT.